Tuesday 1 January 2013

my baby yummy meatballs

Here we are again,
I posted some recipes earlier using these yummy meatballs however, I haven't shared the recipes of meatballs itself yet.
I actually made these meatballs in a different way before but then well I forgot the recipe and created a new one which came out even better. You can steam them for about 30 minutes and serve with some steamed veggies or potatoes, rice or other grains. You can boil a couple of them with some vegetables and blend to the desired consistency or maybe serve with some simple white cheesy sauce your baby likes.
I started giving these meatballs for my baby after she was 1 but I saw some recipes with meat for little ones who are 9 months old.
So here is the recipe.
You'll need:
  • 500 g mince turkey breast (you can substitute with chicken breast, Turkey is considered to be the leanest meat and is good for you and your baby, but if you don't like the taste feel free to use chicken.)
  • about 300 g mince beef (I wash the meat through the sieve  - make sure it is a separate sieve for meat only or if not then wash it very very very well after use maybe even a couple of times and with boiling water. I noticed that when I wash meat and get rid of the rest of blood that is left there, meat gets better taste and is more tender somehow and of course less waste and toxins that blood contain)
  • 1 big onion, chopped
  • 2,5 handfuls cooked red kidney beans
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:
Making these meatballs is fast and easy, the only thing that takes time is cooking kidney beans. Soak them over night, change water while soaking if possible. After soaking, put the beans in a pot, cover them with fresh water, put on high heat and bring to boil. When the water starts boiling, change it again, bring to boil and then simmer for about 60-80 minutes. I add the salt in the end about 10 minutes before taking off the heat.
When the beans are cooled I blend them into paste. Since the beans usually turn out to be quite salty I don't add much salt in the meatball mix.
In large bowl mix together turkey, beef, onion, kidney bean paste. add salt and pepper to taste.
Make balls of the size of a mini cupcake, about 2 inches in size. I got 36 meatballs.
I place them on the lined baking sheet, cover loosely with tin foil and freeze. Once frozen I transfer in a zip lock bag, squeeze the air as much as possible and keep up to 1 month. (I usually finish them earlier).

TIP:
It's difficult to get mince turkey in shops, so I make it myself. Once I mince all the turkey I put onions that way I clean up the mincer from meat as well as mincing onions without having to irritate my eyes. :)

Try these meatballs and let me know what you think.
That's all for now...
take care there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...